Ensenada Outreach Center - YUGO

Forming One Body - Building One Community

for pre-arrival videos please go to 
Jul 13, 2008

taking it day by day

Posted by Christy

Hola my name is Christy and I have been an intern at EOC for two weeks now. I have been coming for the past 4 years with my youth group from Virginia for a week at a time. This summer however, I decided that a week is just too short of a time to stay and that 6 weeks is way better.

So when I first got here, I was really worried about getting along with my groups, the other interns and staff and things like that. Mostly I was worried about why I came to Mexico. I wasn't sure if I was running from home or running to serve God. The more I dwelt on it, I realized that either way it didn't matter. I'm here and that's what counts. I'm here to clean, to build, to play with kids, to translate, to serve where ever I'm needed.

So far the first two weeks have gone by fast yet slow. I have only been here two weeks but it feels like this is my life, this is where I live. Don't get me wrong I miss my family and friends but this is a wonderful experience. The coolest part about it is that I not only get to help locals, but also teens and adults from all over. Every year that I come with my youth group and SMOV, I don't really meet new people except for the family that I am building for. Even then I don't keep in touch with them. As an intern however, I meet tons of new people every week and get to hear their testimonies and truly make new friends. I'm not just building a house and leaving but really getting to know different people from all over; from Chicago, California, Alberta, Ontario, White Horse, etc.

This week I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces as I help my youth group build a house...so we will see how that goes.

0 comments: